[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A compromise on selects

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 20:44:04 EDT

In a message dated 5/21/2005 11:07:03 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
It is  easy to say something like that, but before we do, ask way do we need
to  change the definition of Select or find another term?

Will it improve  the breed? Pauls answer: Yes...it well could. The best of
the best  "should" be showcased for possible use in other breeding programs.
It  could be the GV or high Select dogs would not go well with all with your
animals and the other recognized animals would.
IF ANYONE USES TITLES TO SELECT BREEDING PARTNERS, THEY DESERVE WHAT THEY
GET.  NO VALID BREEDER WOULD DO THIS.

Will it increase entries...It could. The more dogs that receive  recognition
the better it is. That could give incentive for more people  and their good
dogs participating.
WHEN YOU LIMIT THE CHANCE TO WIN, IT IS HARD TO FIGURE WHY MORE PEOPLE  WOULD
ATTEMPT TO DO IT.  LOWER THE ODDS IN VEGAS, AND SEE HOW IT WOULD  ENCOURAGE
MORE PLAYERS.

Will it improve breeding? Already answered this one in my above
comment...yes.
NO.  UNLESS YOU CAN SHOW ME HOW.

Will it increase profits for the club? More entries=  $

SEE ABOVE. IF YOU GIVE LESS CHANCE TO WIN, WHO WOULD THINK IT WOULD  INCREASE
THE ENTRIES.

Will it allow more people to enjoy the sport? Yes...if more  people think
they can receive awards for their really good dogs...they  will enjoy the
sport more.
BUT, IF YOU LIMIT THE AWARDS, LESS PEOPLE WILL HAVE A CHANCE TO WIN.   THIS
IS A GREAT EXAMPLE OF A  PREMISE THAT DOESN'T WORK.

Will it educate more judges? It could...I assume you mean  Judges outside of
the ring. If more animals participate it would give them  more animals to
evaluate pro or con.
AGAIN A FAULTY PREMISE. HOW CAN MORE PEOPLE PARTICIPATE IF LESS PEOPLE WILL
WIN?

Will it improve the quality of the judging? It could...but you never know
for sure. You can lead a horse to water...but you make him to have relations
with the fish. I would hope that as the current Judge issues awards for
these good dogs...Judges outside the ring would assess such quality and
thereby improve their own abilities to judge the best dogs.

HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL.

Will it make me post less?...We can only pray...only pray.

PAUL AND I, WHO OFTEN THINK ALIKE, AND SELDOM DISAGREE SEE  THIS DIFFERENTLY.
I RESPECT HIS OPINION, BUT NOW AND THEN WE EACH NEED A SLAP  UPSIDE THE HEAD.

I HAVE DONE THIS IN 12 POINTS AND IN ALL CAPITALS TO HELP  THOSE OF MY AGE,
WHO NO LONGER CAN READ THE TYPE THAT USUALLY COMES OUT OF MY  MACHINE.

IF YOU THINK LIMITING THE SELECTS WILL INCREASE THE ENTRIES,  THEN I NEED TO
GO FIND ALICE AND FIGURE OUT HOW TO STOP THE QUEEN FROM CUTTING  OFF MORE
HEADS.

Evan
_Asgard German  Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement  and Temperament come together