[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A compromise on selects

  • From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LEWIEB@xxxxxxx, nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 11:31:49 -0500

In my opinion nothing needs to be changed..if it has worked since
1918..then it should be able to work today.I see nothing wrong with having
a judge read the description below in the PC manual and then initialing to
acknowledge that it has been reviewed..however..I don't think it should be
a 'contractual" agreement of any sort. We don't need more stink'in "rules"
we have too many as it stands. I personally think that most of us "know"
that when you go select in the top 3 and maybe even in the top 5..you could
potentially be in the hunt for the GV title in future Nationals.  If only 5
dogs are worthy of select ratings..then give 5 selects...period..no award
of merits or anything else..Any other 'title" that is not a select rating
to me translates into a politically correct, fluffy feel -good type of
award.. given to placate those whose dogs didn't go Select..so they have
something to show for the thousands they may have spent showing their
Special. In my opinion...just drop this whole topic..repeal the current
ruling of the max. 10 selects..and go back to how things were..the system
was not broke..and didn't and still doesn't need to be fixed. You don't
keep the whole class in for recess because one kid was chewing
gum...C.Grainger

Intersex
> should be able to recognize such high quality by awarding the Select
rating.
> Judges should be aware of: 1) they should be convinced that dogs and
bitches
> so honored are of the quality of the Grand Victor and Grand Victrix; 2)
> There are no numerical requirements for the Award.. Past year's numbers
are
> no criterion. It is conceivable no Select title be awarded if no animals
> really have the quality needed. Conversely, this also means there could
be
> many awarded in one sex and not in the other. The award need not be
> numerically balanced between the sexes. 3) Judges are respectfully
requested
> to think about the meaning of the Award to the breed and be very
selective
> in making the designation. (7/92, p. 10)
>
> Fred and I would like to see those Judges elected to do Intersex at the
> Nationals acknowledge this definition before they judge...Such an
> acknowledgement wouldn't hamstring them 1 iota. Read the definition...it
> speaks of "no Selects" at one point.
>
> I think I can speak for Fred when I say we want the good ones recognized
at
> every turn. It's what the Nationals and the judging of Intersex is all
> about. That said...we either need to change the definition of Select or
find
> another term that will honor these other great dogs.
>
> What we are trying to import to those involved in this discussion is that
> there is not a good chance there are 10 or 15 dogs and bitches equal to
the
> GV/GVX on another day. Take out the another day and that is a paraphrase
of
> the defintion of Select. We want that definition to remain the highest of
> the high...the pinnacle. We think it should be awarded to those animals
that
> are "in at the end" when it comes to competing for the title of GV/GVX.
Last