[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A compromise on selects

  • From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ELG440@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 17:28:37 -0500

Paul..I am not certain how to take the below statement "in 25 years I have
never even seen select 10 competing for the title..in the end." If you mean
on another given day..I can give you 2 examples off the top of my head. A
Sel. 9 dog went on to go GV in both countries twice..and a Select 10 dog in
2001 was Select 2 this year...and a Select 18 was Select 4 or 5 this year
this year's Select 10 dog was a young dog who went WD..and I feel could
have a very stellar career as a Special. You see..I understand the
compromise you are purposing....the only problem I have is that it is not
necessary. If  the compromise is set forth as a contractual
agreement..something a judge signs and agrees to follow through with...then
at some point expect it to be challenged by someone who doesn't agree with
a judges placement..or feels that some dog that was given a Select rating
doesn't fully capture the essence of the title of GV. to my knowledge when
you sign the contract to judge the National..it is enforced....how do you
plan to enforce subjectivity? How do you know that a judge truly
understands the meaning of Select just because he signs an agreement?...if
you are in fact leaving it up to the judge as you state below..then all we
simply need to do is do what ever it takes to fix this mess..go back to the
way things were before the 10 rule...no need of a compromise..a new
contract..or signing anything. I get the feeling there seems to be
resistance to going back to the way things were..and a push for this
"compromise"..I just hope it is not a clandestine way to also push for this
mean- nothing AOM.C.Grainger

How
> many of you with more years than I...have?
>
> If you change the definition of Select to...a really good dog...the
problem
> is solved and I will accept that in the same heart beat.
>
> Finished tilting at windmills...
>
> Paul
>
> But...I must respond to this...IF ANYONE USES TITLES TO SELECT BREEDING
> PARTNERS, THEY DESERVE WHAT THEY GET.  NO VALID BREEDER WOULD DO THIS.
>
> This statement is just plain stupid Evan. Good dogs win titles and
mediocre
> dogs do not...That said there are the Paladins, Zinfandels, and Sirocco's
> with no titles in front...but they had titles at the end of their
name...ROM
> Would I breed to a non titled dog that is a producer...in a heart beat.
Been