[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A compromise on selects

  • From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ELG440@xxxxxxx" <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 14:29:00 -0500

I don't think that Ed's giving Jimmy a Select with Dallas has anything to
do with legislating the number of selects..unless there is something going
on behind the scenes I am not privy to. If I remember correctly Dallas was
either Sel 5 or 6.not sel. 18.So..if the cut off is 10..he would have been
select anyhow. To my knowledge rule came about because of Ed's number of
Selects..not who got the selects..". this whole situation could have been
handled with common sense..ask the judge his reasoning for the number of
placements awarded..suggest to the judge that if he is to judge future
nationals that perhaps he could be a bit more judicious with his
awards..and give the same advisement to other future national judges. this
way..the judge gets the respect he is owed for being elected to judge the
National by the fancy and..it allows him to use his own discretion..but
with some guidelines. to me..this would have been the logical approach. Now
that the dust has settled we can see that the 10 select rule was an over
correction to an incident that had never happened before..and probably
would never happen again. Rules made in anger, .or in the heat of the
moment are usually retaliatory and are made to punish those involved...not
for the 'betterment of the breed." C.Grainger

Because of