[sarcmembers] Re: SARC Tower and Dish move...

  • From: Bkitzer@xxxxxxx
  • To: sarcmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 21:08:04 EDT

-------------------------------1242090484

Thanks very much for the info, take care, getting antsy  foran mc vroom?

Hugh Thompson, KD6PPO

In a message dated 5/11/2009 3:40:30 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
pandreasen@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hey  guys! When I was the radio puke for the City of Lompoc, I got an
almost  identical one for use by the PD during emergencies. (mostly
for hams  manning the EOC) For some reason several SWR meters,
including a Bird 43,  would not give me a very good reading on any
frequency. I knew it WAS  working ok, but didn't see it! I finally
used an MFJ-269 and it showed  good impedance and fair SWRs. The ONLY
thing that said it was resonant (in  little skips, looked like a
sawtooth plotted out) was an AEA 140-525! I  had to sell it after
being laid of as head Engineer of Hendry Telephone  Products R&D down
in Goleta. Wish I still had it. I think it was the  only instrument I
ever used that was always right, and seemed impervious  to some
problems, like others. With a log periodic, you can have a fine
impedance match at a frequency, and still show a horrible SWR, even
though it really is working right. there are so many harmonics that
are being reflected back and forth along with the primary signal,
that  you have a mixing, of third order on to infinity! (and beyond!
Quiet,  Buzz!)
If anyone has an AEA available to borrow, that should give you real
world readings. I have an MFJ-269, but don't completely trust it on a
log periodic with it's literally thousands of harmonic balances and
unbalances. Even John Kraus, in "Antennas", which most commercial and
ham related folks consider the "antenna Bible" says that log periodic
performance can only be measured as tested ERP (new term, same
meaning  as his, he said tested at a distance relative to known
sources), rather  than at the feed point.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Paul Andreasen,  K1JAN
ARRL Technical Coordinator, Santa Barbara Section
ARRL Technical  Advisor, Southwestern Division
SARC Chair  Holderdowner

only  accept email from subscribed members so SPAMMERS
will not get your email  address

'unsubscribe' in the Subject field OR  by logging into the Web interface at:

//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi

-------------------------------1242090484

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16825" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3Drole_body
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 14pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial CE" bottomMar=
gin=3D7
leftMargin=3D7 topMargin=3D7 rightMargin=3D7><FONT id=3Drole_document face=
=3D"Arial CE"
color=3D#000000 size=3D4>
<DIV><EM><FONT size=3D4>THANKS VERY MUCH FOR THE INFO, TAKE CARE, GETTING=
 ANTSY
FORAN MC VROOM?</FONT></EM></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D4 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"1=
4">Don't take
your organs to heaven, heaven knows we need them here.<BR><BR>Support the=
 1st
and 2nd Amendments.<BR><BR>Need info, 805-588-1320.
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>In a message dated 5/11/2009 3:40:30 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
pandreasen@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid"=
><FONT
  style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" face=3DArial color=3D#000000 siz=
e=3D2>Hey
  guys! When I was the radio puke for the City of Lompoc, I got an <BR>alm=
ost
  identical one for use by the PD during emergencies. (mostly <BR>for hams=

  manning the EOC) For some reason several SWR meters, <BR>including a Bir=
d 43,
  would not give me a very good reading on any <BR>frequency. I knew it WA=
  working ok, but didn't see it! I finally <BR>used an MFJ-269 and it show=
ed
  good impedance and fair SWRs. The ONLY <BR>thing that said it was resona=
nt (in
  little skips, looked like a <BR>sawtooth plotted out) was an AEA 140-525=
! I
  had to sell it after <BR>being laid of as head Engineer of Hendry Teleph=
one
  Products R&amp;D down <BR>in Goleta. Wish I still had it. I think it was=
 the
  only instrument I <BR>ever used that was always right, and seemed imperv=
ious
  to some <BR>problems, like others. With a log periodic, you can have a=
 fine
  <BR>impedance match at a frequency, and still show a horrible SWR, even=

  <BR>though it really is working right. there are so many harmonics that=

  <BR>are being reflected back and forth along with the primary signal, <B=
R>that
  you have a mixing, of third order on to infinity! (and beyond! <BR>Quiet=
,
  Buzz!)<BR>If anyone has an AEA available to borrow, that should give you=
 real
  <BR>world readings. I have an MFJ-269, but don't completely trust it on=
  <BR>log periodic with it's literally thousands of harmonic balances and=

  <BR>unbalances. Even John Kraus, in "Antennas", which most commercial an=
  <BR>ham related folks consider the "antenna Bible" says that log periodi=
  <BR>performance can only be measured as tested ERP (new term, same <BR>m=
eaning
  as his, he said tested at a distance relative to known <BR>sources), rat=
her
  than at the feed point.<BR>Just my 2 cents worth.<BR><BR>Paul Andreasen,=

  K1JAN<BR>ARRL Technical Coordinator, Santa Barbara Section<BR>ARRL Techn=
ical
  Advisor, Southwestern Division<BR>SARC Chair
  Holderdowner<BR><BR>_______________________________________________<BR>Y=
ou
  have received this because you are subscribed to<BR>the Satellite Amateu=
  Radio Club Members Mailing List<BR><BR>To post on the mailing list, simp=
ly
  send email to sarcmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&nbsp; This mailing list will<BR=
>only
  accept email from subscribed members so SPAMMERS<BR>will not get your em=
ail
  address<BR><BR>To unsubscribe, send an email to
  sarcmembers-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject fiel=
d OR
  by logging into the Web interface at:
  //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi<BR></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV><=