[sarcmembers] Re: SARC Tower and Dish move...

  • From: <jportune@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sarcmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 19:32:06 -0700

Please, endure an opinion. I have never been a fan of log periodic antennas. They yield relatively poor gain compared to yagis. Yes they have great bandwidth, but that bandwith has a BIG down side. It naturally causes MUCH more front end overload than an equivalent tuned antenna onone band. Therefore, if broadband is desired for a general puprose testing antenna, that big discone Dave recovered is probably as good a compromise. If one needs gain, then go to a yagi or a quad, not a log periodic. So much for mouthing off. So if we can repair this one, fine, in my not-so-humble opinion, I personally wouldn't spend money on a replacement that won't really give us that much performance. As we all know, even a dummy load "gets out," and I suppose some ham has gotten his DXCC on one.

John W6NBC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Lemmon" <wb6fly@xxxxxxxxxxx>