[rollei_list] Re: [rollei_list

  • From: John Wild <jwild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 14:54:49 +0000

All tools have a purpose ­ some better suited than others...

Some cars are best on the open road; some for shopping; some for carrying
the kids and dogs to the seaside...
Some footwear is good for trekking; some for dancing; some for running...
Some rifles are ideal for target shooting; some for big game; some for
varmint...
Some cameras are best suited to pocketability; some sports to photography;
some to versatility...

Rollei made cameras that are versatile and  able to be used in many ways ­
probably a result of pressures of economy of the era. TLRs are not
pocketable, are not ideally suited to sports photography but are adaptable
to most situations like microscopy, panorama and underwater. They were
probably the best all round camera of the time and have a remarkable legacy.
There are other marques which are better suited to underwater photography ­
Nikonos; sports ­ Nikon/Canon SLRs; architectural ­ LF cameras but many of
the best photographs have been taken with a Rollei.

I use other marques of camera, those that I think that will best fit the
purpose but if there is any doubt in my mind, I pick up a Rolleiflex. Times
are-a-changing with digital but digital cameras with all encompassing zooms
are not small or light...

I could pick holes in some of my range of Rolleis for one reason or another
but I can¹t criticise the results ­ if my cameras could speak they could
pick holes in me to; if I miss the target, it¹s my fault ­ not that of the
rifle.

I enjoy picking up a Rolleiflex and having to use my skill to get the best
out of it ­ I don¹t want an electronic circuit doing that bit for me ­ who¹s
taking the photograph anyway? Me or some guy who wrote the camera program?

John