[rollei_list] Re: cleaning old Rolleinars and filters

  • From: Bob Shell <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 07:09:02 -0500

On Jan 22, 2006, at 10:18 PM, Don Williams wrote:

Thanks, that was my thought about paper towels, no sand. Why would anyone go to the expense?

I don't know about paper towels, but Kimberly-Clark says that their facial tissues contain "an additive" to make them strong. That additive does not biodegrade. Because of this they recommend against flushing facial tissue down the toilet. Their bathroom tissue does not contain this additive. The additive, which I have heard is white clay, is abrasive. I've always advised people to use toilet tissue rather than facial tissues to clean lenses for this reason. It's possible that paper towels, which need to be stronger than facial tissues, have more of this additive. White clay is, so far as I recall, a mixture of silica compounds and titanium dioxide.

For cleaning lenses I use one of the commercial lens cleaners and Kodak or similar lens tissue.

Bob