[rollei_list] Re: cleaning old Rolleinars and filters

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:59:48 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Kelley" <thocker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2006 10:35 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] cleaning old Rolleinars and filters

The Rolleiflex MX-EVS I recently acquired came with a small leather case containing two Rollleinars, five filters, and a lens shade.

They appear to be in mint condition except they need a good cleaning. I'm guessing they may have been in this case, untouched for perhaps, decades. All the above date circa 1956. The Rolleinars are the older three piece units.

Finally my question...how would one go about safely cleaning these? They all have a pretty heavy layer of "haze." The one filter that I tried wiping with a microfiber cloth, shows that the "haze" is on the surface and the glass itself is fine.

I guess part of my concern with stuff this old is whether modern lens cleaning chemicals can adversely affect the glass?

Any advice appreciated.

Lens cleaning fluid is the same as always. Window cleaner, especially the newer butyl alcohol (Streak Free types) work fine as does a mild solution of dishwashing detergent. The glass is not particularly delicate. Be careful to use paper which is free of abrasives and avoid re-using anything on the lens. I am not happy about microfiber cloths because they can pick up and hold particles of grit. Kimwipes are fine, they are abrasive free, but each one should be used once and discarded. Avoid cotton swabs for the same reason, they can hold grit particles and are not always grit free to begin with.
Dry Isopropyl alcohol is also effective for some types of oil films and is safe. Isopropyl ubbing alcohol has too much water in it. The residual water may creep into the mounting. 99% Isopropyl is available at many drugstores, its not expensive.
Traditional lens cleaner, like Kodak Lens Cleaning Fluid (is it still made?) are Ammonium carbonate. Many window cleaners have Ammonium hydroxide in them. The difference is mostly of academic interest but Kodak uses the less alkaline chemical because alkalies can dissolve glass slowly. A friend, who worked for Bausch and Lomb many years ago, told me they used plain old Windex on the production line.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx