[rollei_list] cleaning old Rolleinars and filters

  • From: "Jeff Kelley" <thocker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:35:48 +0000

The Rolleiflex MX-EVS I recently acquired came with a small leather case containing two Rollleinars, five filters, and a lens shade.

They appear to be in mint condition except they need a good cleaning. I'm guessing they may have been in this case, untouched for perhaps, decades. All the above date circa 1956. The Rolleinars are the older three piece units.

Finally my question...how would one go about safely cleaning these? They all have a pretty heavy layer of "haze." The one filter that I tried wiping with a microfiber cloth, shows that the "haze" is on the surface and the glass itself is fine.

I guess part of my concern with stuff this old is whether modern lens cleaning chemicals can adversely affect the glass?

Any advice appreciated.

--- Rollei List