[rollei_list] Re: cleaning old Rolleinars and filters

  • From: keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 11:02:45 -0800

Don Williams wrote:

At 10:59 AM 1/20/2006 -0800, Dick Burk wrote:

Dry Isopropyl alcohol is also effective for some types of oil films and is safe. Isopropyl rubbing alcohol has too much water in it. The residual water may creep into the mounting. 99% Isopropyl is available at many drugstores, its not expensive.

Interesting you should mention "rubbing alcohol". For years I had been buying those special eyeglass cleaning pads.

One day I just dabbed a bit of soft paper towel with the stuff, wet my eyeglasses thoroughly (wiping a bit) and then dried them with the other end of the paper towel. Best cleaning job ever, and the paper towel can be used several times, using different corners.

I've read more than once that using paper towels for cleaning anything meant to be optically clear is a big no-no!
Apparently the process of the manufacturing of consumer paper towels uses all manner of wood fibre products, many of which have very small particles of what amounts to common sand in them.
Nothing the processing does will eliminate those abrasive particles.
Over time, the use of paper towels will lead to a microscopic hazing effect.
Whether YOU can personally see it is moot. The fact that it exists, and I could have done something to avoid it, is a reasonable goal. If you know about it and ignore it, your choice...

keith whaley

I haven't tried that with my car windshield but I would bet it works fine there, but there may be some wax there so it would take a bit more work.

Haven't tried that with photo lenses, and don't plan to.

I usually buy two bottles of the stuff when it's on sale at 2 for 99 cents.

DAW

--- Rollei List