[rollei_list] Re: cleaning old Rolleinars and filters

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:22:26 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Williams" <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2006 7:36 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: cleaning old Rolleinars and filters

Having a bottle of Edwal, it includes trichloroethane and
isopropanol, an alcohol, described as follows:

-one of the cheapest alcohols and has replaced ethanol for many uses
because of its similar solvent properties.

We already discussed acetone, which I think is a strong solvent for
just about everything I have tried it for. It's described as follows:

-Acetone is widely used in industry as a solvent for numerous organic
substances and is a component of most paint and varnish removers.

From my experience, it cuts just about anything. It's in the can
closest to the garage door here.

Don Williams La Jolla, CA

Isopropanol is the proper chemical name for Isopropyl alcohol. Reagent grade Acetone was the standard cleaner for optical assembly and may still be. A good summery of the recommended cleaning for recementing of otpical parts is described on the Summers Optical site at http://www.emsdiasum.com/Summers/optical/cements/default.htm

I have observed that many lenses develop a coating of haze over time. I don't know what it is but suspect its residue of some sort from the anti-reflection paint used in lens cells and binocular interiors. It cleans off easily with lens cleaning fluid but sometimes getting at these sealed surfaces is not so easy. I have currently a pair of Zeiss binoculars with enough haze to really screw up contrast but have no idea of the approved method of disassembling them.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx