[rollei_list] Re: Rollei 35S, SE

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:55:24 -0300 (ART)

It depends about the photographer taste too, I love
the Rollei 35 weight and solid construction, I love
the fact it is %100 mechanical, no autofocus, no
automatic film advance.
BTW it has its specific use, at least to me, I find
the focusing system via distance scale and the
hyperfocal DOF works fine except for distances shorter
than 2 metres if you need to use a wide f stop
diminishing the DOF area, for this case the system
loses precision if you are not lucky guessing the
distance, but the Rollei 35 is not a camera for head
portraits or close-up images.-

All the best
Carlos
--- Jerry Friedman <tinycameraco@xxxxxxxxx> escribió:

> I have used the Rollei 35S and SE and found them
> fine
> cameras. But they are not light and convenient to
> use for a
> variety of reasons well known to all. Most
> important, it
> has no rangefinder and the 40mm lens does not really
> compensate for the lack of focus imprecision.
>
> If you want a more convenient camera that is much
> lighter
> and somewhat smaller and also has no rangefinder but
> is
> much much cheaper, try a Minox 35 GT or later series
> such
> as the ML.  Same problems and strengths as the
> Rollei but
> for less money and it is lighter and intuitive in
> use.
>
> If you want a small package and a good rangefinder,
> look
> for the also very cheap Olympus XA. Again, similar
> quality
> lens, very small and light package and it uses small
> button
> batteries too. Wide open, the lens is not as good as
> the
> Sonnar and probably equiv to the Minoxar. Closed
> down past
> f/8 and there is little difference between the
> cameras. The
> Olympus also has a very fine electronic shutter. And
> it
> closes up inside it own clam shell case.
>
> Do not get any of the other Olympus X series cameras
> as
> they do not have the same lens or the rangefinder.
> There is
> an XA4 with a very sharp deeply wide angle micro
> lens but I
> do not believe this is a flexibile camera.
>
> The best thing about an Olympus XA is that they are
> sooooo
> available and for soooooo little money. You will buy
> three
> of them for the same price as a Rollei SE.  It is
> polycarbonate and hence not as lovely as the Rollei,
> but if
> you are going to use such a tiny image size and
> would like
> any sort of quality enlaregement, Rollei design
> quality is
> nothing when you can have a rangefinder and as good
> a lens
> as well and all for one third the price. With
> available
> cheap button batteries.
>
> But you really have not asked the right question at
> all. If
> you want a small high quality 35mm and price is no
> object,
> there are Contax autofocus cameras that will strip
> the
> paint off of the Rollei 35. They are not costly,
> have
> exceptional lenses and can even close focus to about
> 13
> inches. Indeed, Zeiss has produced a series of
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

      Las últimas noticias sobre el Mundial de Rugby 2007 están en Yahoo!
Deportes. ¡Conocelas!
http://ar.sports.yahoo.com/mundialderugby