[rollei_list] Re: Rollei 35S, SE

  • From: Jerry Friedman <tinycameraco@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 12:05:36 -0700 (PDT)

Even Tessars seem to differ. I have used Tessars on Super
Ikonta cameras, Rollei 35, a Welta and a Rollei T tlr. I
have always found Tessars good performers but still a
little bit too soft. But, the Tessar on both of my Rollei T
 tlr cameras are truly sharp and contrasty, indeed they are
my favorite lenses.  Just today i went through a ritual i
go through about twice a year. I put film through my Rollei
3.5E(2) Xenotar to prove to myself that it does not perform
as well as the Tesars on the Rollei T.  I keep imagining
that perghaps next time it will test better but it never
does, not at the center and there is no noticed differences
even in the corners. Very soon I will decide, finally, to
sell the Xenotar. Resolution is excellent on all the lenses
but the Tessar just has more bite.

Part of this is, no doubt, a question of assembly. Perhaps
the Rollei lenses were more carfully centered. You know how
Welta centered their lens assembly? With a flashlight. Same
with Franka. Both of these companies used Xenars on their
best cameras but for a long time Xenars were available for
far less money, esp. before the war.  This is why one finds
so many secondary brand cameras with Xenars. But, how good
were they if they were assembled and centered with a
flashlight beam?  On the other hand, while i do not seem to
like the Schneider lenses I have used, I did have a Franka
Rolfix with 105mm f/3.5 Radionar that performed really
exceptionally. So well in fact, that I bought other Rolfixs
in hope of finding another one that good. But this was the
only one that was so exceptional. Better centering? So, of
course, i sold it only to continually regret this.

But, before I find myself ensnared in a battle about
Xenotars, let me also say that i have never particularly
liked Planars either though resolution is indeed
exceptional. Indeed, i sold a GX simply because it was too
expensive to lug around with me when i was not too thrilled
with its performance. Yes, no doubt I am a troglodite with
too many thumbs, but we find favorites where we find them.

Do any of you know about Robot's experience with Zeiss and
Schneider lenses?  Their post war surveillance cameras used
Schneider lenses and Israeli intelligence, who have
designed the  most recent Robot gifts, also prefer
Schneider lenses.  Beats me.

Jerry Friedman

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Rollei35T&w=38698047%40N00

> > > Richard S.