[rollei_list] Re: Rollei 35S, SE

  • From: ERoustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 21:03:28 -0400

I've been using it, and having some success. The best I got was with Provia 100 on a misty day: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1055/1271933495_bbe698f280_o.jpg (and a few others) Whether the overall softness of the image is caused by camera shake, the lens or the scan is hard to tell. Projected, this image and the others from the roll, look great, sharp enough, colorful with good contrast. The scan can't really show the detail, but the projection does. I have to say I was surprised when I started projecting the images at how good everything looked. I wasn't expecting it. My canon FD 50mm/1.4 produced sharper images from that trip, but there's something about that Xenar that I like better.

Collecting in general is strange... we must all admit to that.

E.

On Sep 26, 2007, at 2:55 PM, Richard Sintchak wrote:

Strangely enough the Xenar ones, even though theoretically rarer, do
not seem very treasured by collectors or the buying public.  At least
not as a premium for it's relative rarity.  One just went on the
classifieds on rangefinderforum.com for about $125.  I considered
picking it up just to round out my collection of the 35T and 35S but
then sanity prevailed (actually someone else took it before I
weakened, thank god).

Great camera.  Enjoy it, and know that only you and at max 29,999
others have one.  ;-)

Richard S.
San Francisco

See my Commute Photo Blog!
http://shootingonthefly.blogspot.com/
My Flickr Page
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rich8155/

On 9/26/07, eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'll start referring to mine as a Rollei 35X. Also I'll start telling people mine is a limited edition, now rare, from an original production run of ONLY 30000. Once I get enough buzz going, I'll post it on eBay, and then be able to afford a an S!

:  )

My X just got a cleaning and new felt installed around the lens barrel. It's a fine camera by all means. In a pinch though, my Olympus Trip 35 does very very good work, and that I paid $5 for.

E.

From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
The S-Xenar 3,5/40 is a Jos. Schneider Xenar lens
dedicated for the Rollei 35, it looks identical
regarding the Zeiss Tessar 3,5/40 (a dedicated Zeiss
Tessar design for the Rollei 35), Schneider only could
make 30,000 S-Xenar for the Rollei 35. The S-Xenar
Rollei 35 is identical regarding the Rollei 35
technically.
The "Rollei 35" name was maintained up to the Sonnar
version was manufactured, and then the original
"Rollei 35" became "Rollei 35 T" for the Tessar
version and "Rollei 35 S" for the Sonnar version.
"Rollei 35 TE" and "Rollei 35 SE" are the versions
with LED lightmeter.
Rollei C 35, Rollei B 35,Rollei 35 LED or B 35 LED are
simplified versions using the Zeiss Triotar 3,5/40
lens.-

All the best
Carlos

--- eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx escribió:

The S-Xenar is a Tessar with another name?

E.