[rollei_list] Re: Rollei 35S, SE

  • From: Jerry Friedman <tinycameraco@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 03:49:51 -0700 (PDT)

The problem you will find using a separate range finder is
that it will not be in agreement with the settings on your
camera. With greater distance, past 30 feet, this is less
of a problem because DOF can help compensate and the
differences going out from 20 to 30 feet to infinity dimish
with distance. At close distances, a rangefinder is crucial
but, you will notice, the distances between each
additiional foot on the 35S is significant at closest
distances. Hence, differences between a separate
rangefinder and the Rollei focus scale will be emphasized.

If you want a good separate rangefinder, seek out a
Watameter. I have used these and they are not only well
made but can be adjusted to the focus of your camera if you
use a ground glass on the camera to set each distance.

The biggest problem is that a separate rangefinder is very
awkward to use and to carry about. Not impossible,  just
not pleasant, esp. if your camera already has a built in
meter.

I have never felt that differences in optical resolution
are that important, compared to proper focus. This is less
true at inifinity, of course. I would rather have an
accurate means of focusing than a lens of finer quality
that has so much space between each foot setting at close
focus on the camera lens as is true with the Rollei
cameras.

There is one additipnal problem with a Rollei 35 camera,
though it may seem incidental. Have you noticed how many
are sold on ebay with dented corners? This is the result of
the satisfying but awkward weight and shape of the camera.
simpl,y stated, the corner's of the camera manage to catch
the flat sides of larger objects. The dent itself is less
important than what the original  bump means to the
accuracy of the meter and to the oh so precise shutter to
body linkage that the camera uses to remain compact. Please
keep in mind what must be done before the camera can be
closed down and put away.There are so many separate steps
and stages between the various body, lens tube, shutter and
film advance parts that it is quite easy to throw off the
optical alignment with a good corner bump or, in other
circumstances, to even be able to collapse the lens.

Rollei 35 cameras are excellent picture takers. Period. But
they are an ergonomic nightmare which leads to a series of
complications with years of use. They are lovely, and, for
the mid 1960s, even well designed. Think of the elephants
that were SLR cameras at the time. The Contax T2,T3 are
excellent, far more durable and certainly more capable than
the Rollei 35. And if additional camera size is not a
problem, greater size further removes the Rollei 35 from
serious contention.

And this does not even begin to address the problem of
using electronic flash.....

Jerry Friedman

=== message truncated ===

and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7