[rollei_list] Re: Planar vs. Xenotar test

  • From: Peter Kotsinadelis <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 12:26:28 -0800

Hi Mike,

We joke a bit about Planar v. Xenotar and Tessa v. Xenar. It has been
an ongoing battle here on this list and another. Both the Planar and
Xenotar are excellent. The major difference between the two is the
Planar is slightly better wide open. This is arguable and those who
prefer the Xenotar will say otherwise. The Xenotar and other Schneider
lenses are slightly more contrasty than the Planar. I own both.
As to the Tessar, it is soft until about F5.6 then at F8 and F11 its
resolution is equal to that of the Planar and Xenotar and sometimes a
tad better in the center than the edges. Same for the Xenar, a
Schneider copy of the Tessar. That is the primary difference with
Tessar v. Planar in that the Planar is more even in sharpness
edge-to-edge.

Peter K