[rollei_list] Planar vs. Xenotar test

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 20:12:04 -0800

I've been up all night for several nights wondering about if I should trade
in my Rolleiflex with 2.8 Carl Zeiss Planar.
The guy sitting next to me on the bus says the Schneider-Kreuznach* Xenotar
has better resolving power in the corners stopped down in lower light levels
close in with an orange filter.

Or as found in the FAQ says
The CZ or JSK? Say what!?!

CZ is Carl Zeiss of course.

*And JSK is Jos. Schneider, Bad-Kreuznach.
What happened to "JSB-K"!?!?

Apparently these do not come out of the "Bad" School of Lens design so I'm
not worrying about that.)

Also while we're at it for backup which is better:

The CA Tessar or the JSK Xenar?

I'm interested in results from shots taken at infinity with a dark green
filter at high light levels in the Adirondacks.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/