[rollei_list] Re: Decline of Rollieflex/Film

  • From: Newhouse230@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 17:41:05 EDT

Hi Austin...ok...I agree we have to clear up our definitions.  I counted as
a pro anyone who said his occupation was a photographer or whose
conversation told me that he/she earned his living taking pictures. I did not
distinguish between 'wedding photographers' and news photographers, portrait
photographers or advertising photographers. I counted them all equally as
'pros'.   Amateurs were quickly identified by either their lesser  knowledge OR
their description of the subject matter. If a guy said he wanted a  Rollei so
he could get some 'great shots of new baby' I probably assumed he was  an
amateur.
   In any case, perhaps others  on the list had  different experiences than
me during that time, but I have little doubt about  the 'mix' in Brookline,
MA.   It's true I do take a lot for  granted by generalizing that
experience, but I think there are a lot more  'Brooklines' than NYC type cities.

   Regards,
Charlie

In a message dated 3/25/2010 5:09:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Charlie,

I take your word for it, and  respect your opinion on it.  I will say that
I know a LOT of  "professionals" who are more so advanced amateurs than
professionals.   Most wedding photographers are more so advanced amateurs,
though they are  technically professionals, as they make money from it.  So,
I'm
not  personally sure how to distinguish the difference.

Did you sell both Hasselblads  and Rollei TLRs?  If so, did most people
interested in one, also show  interest in the other?  What can you say about
the relationship between  the two, with respect to the customer?

Regards,

Austin