[rollei_list] Decline of Rollieflex/Film

  • From: Elias_Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 23:26:39 -0400

It was 1996 or 7 when I took my Rolleiflex with me to NYC for the day. I freelance illustrated for a publisher who had a space across from a photographer (somewhere low on 7th). He didn't offer to buy it, but was very interested in it, and in any case told me to take good care of the very special camera I had. I knew next to nothing about it at the time. I imagine back then it was still a viable piece of equipment for a pro. About when did the TLR really drop out of the picture for commercial use, and when did Rollei specifically loose its place?

And somewhat related, are we far away enough from the advent of digital to put a date on when film dropped out of commercial use? Is there a moment that will end up in some text book a generation from now? Not looking for polemic on film vs. digital here. I was at a photographer's studio the other day delivering a job, and after some small talk I got the idea that the fellow never used film professionally. He has an established business and does everything from Politician's head shots to weddings, and products. So I figure we're well into the digital age now that a working pro can't remember the use of film.