[rollei_list] Re: Decline of Rollieflex/Film

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 17:36:28 -0500

Hi Marc,

> You DO know about the demise of the Ikonta line
> -- you are, after all, one of the acknowledged
> whiz-kids on the brand.

Only Super Ikontas, but I know little to no history about the business end.
That's your forte.

> I own the perfected 1000F, a Kiev 88.  Absolutely
> accurate.  Absolutely bullet-proof.  This is what
> Hasselblad OUGHT to have made!

I have some Russian variant as well.  I think a Salyut or something like
that.  Well, not really bulletproof...it's really flakier than the 1000F
IMO.  At least it feels that way.  I forgot about that camera.  Hum.  I'll
have to go find it now.

> Both Jason Schneider and Herbert Keppler spent a
> lot of time with the 1000F.  Both left the camera
> with relief, finding it erratic and unreliable --
> Keppler later stated, "great lenses, bad
> camera".  Peter Dechert, a working pro of the
> 1950's, also found the 1000F very
> unreliable.

I'd like to know what they mean by unreliable though before drawing any
conclusions.

> The stories of the 1000F's
> unreliability may well be mythical -- lord, life
> is full of such myths!  In any event, I do not
> believe that a serious pro in the 1950's would
> have used a 1000F.

Who do you think the sales were to then?

> I can put you in touch with
> Rick Nordin and Peter Dechert.

I know Rick.  He and I have conversed many times.  As far as I remember, he
feels the same way about the 1000F as I stated.

> Austin, we may be talking at cross-ends here.
>
> First, I am NOT disdaining the Hasselblad.

I did not think you were.  But I do think the reputation of the FP
reliability you are citing is more myth than reality.  Just like Hasselblad
jams.

> I do not have the vast holdings of rare cameras you own.

I have been dwindling my collection down over the past few years.  I don't
want my wife and kids to have to sell them off, so I'm taking care of that
now.

> Someday, you and I ought to
> drive to Philadelphia to meet up with Charlie
> Barringer and Dan Black.

Charlie wants my serial numbers.  Some day I'll take the time to give them
to him.

> Charlie is quite
> ill...

I didn't know that, and I'm sorry to hear that.

Best Regards,

Austin