[rollei_list] Re: Any Hassy to Rollei 6000 series converts?

  • From: Bob Shell <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:14:00 -0500

On Feb 13, 2006, at 6:54 AM, Douglas Nygren wrote:

A design that is prone to jamming is a PF stupid design. And there are many, many stories of people whose Hassys jammed at the wrong moment. A bad design is a f--up waiting to happen.

Anyone who has ever worked as a camera repairman knows that Hasselblad 500 series cameras jam frequently. Hasselblad and Compur designed the interface and got it wrong. In Japan Seiko saw the problems with doing it the H/C way and designed a different interface (used by Kowa, Mamiya, Bronica, and maybe others I've forgotten). The Seiko design doesn't jam. The only way one of the cameras using the Seiko system can jam is if a part actually breaks.

The problem is the split shaft used by Hasselblad. Compur designed their shutters for SLR cameras to be cocked by a shaft, but all of the other cameras using that shutter type mounted the shutter permanently on the camera body (Zeiss Ikon, Kodak and Voigtländer, primarily) and used interchangeable lenses or lens heads that plugged into the shutter. Hasselblad wanted a greater range of focal lengths than this would allow, so the shaft was cut in half and keyed. The design caused problems from the beginning, but H/C didn't want to go back and redo the interface, so it was retained. It requires that both body and lens be cocked so that the keyed halves of the shaft would fit together properly. If the body is not cocked the lens will still go on, but everything jams. To unjam you must take the film magazine off, push the light baffles open manually, insert a long screwdriver and turn a screw in the direction of the red arrow. That the screwhead is there and marked with a red arrow shows how Hasselblad knew about jams and provided a way to deal with them without dismantling anything.

This was an endemic problem with the 500 series cameras. It should have been fixed early on. I didn't mind that it wasn't, though, when I had my repair shop. I made good money unjamming the cameras! Most owners were too timid to try it themselves. I charged $ 25 for doing it. I used to tell them it was $ 2 for having the right tool and $ 23 for knowing what to do with it.

Bob---