[rollei_list] Re: Any Hassy to Rollei 6000 series converts?

  • From: Slobodan Dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:34:11 -0800

Which is why the Super Speed Graphic is so handy.
The lensboard tilts forward, not just back.
One time, in order to photograph 3 individuals with front to back sharpness, I tilted the SL66 on its side.
Not easy to focus, but do-able.
Virtually all of my seascapes with the SL66 make some use of the tilting lensboard.

Slobodan Dimitrov
Studio G-8,
Angels Gate Cultural Center
http://sdimitrovphoto.com

On Feb 12, 2006, at 5:22 PM, Jim Brick wrote:

99% of Scheimpflug use, in landscapes, is either front tilt (Rollei) or back tilt (Flexbody).

I have a Linhof Technikardan 45S and a gaggle of lenses and film holders (roll and sheet) to satisfy all of my swing, tilt, shift, rise, fall, and other possible contortion needs.

Rise and fall are not within the Scheimpflug scope as it does not change the DOF plane. It is used to keep architectural planes parallel to the film plane, and to be able to shoot around stationary objects without cutting them down or blowing them up. The ARC Body is the only Hasselblad body with much Architectural shift acumen.

Over the past 55 years (years after Brooks) I have found that, in landscape work, the basic lens tilt or back tilt (very basic Scheimpflug movements) are almost the only movements ever used. With my Linhof, I can use swing to bring a disappearing fence into focus. Easy to do with an SL66 or FlexBody by simply turning it on its side. What folks do not seem to comprehend is that whenever you use Scheimpflug movements to increase DOF in one direction (in one plane) you lose an equal amount of DOF in the opposite direction (the opposite plane). So using tilt and swing in order to gain DOF in two planes, is like trying to invent perpetual motion. There is no free lunch.

Over the past ten years, I have taught workshops for Hasselblad USA (two each year), Leica USA (a half dozen over this time) and a few independent LF classes. With Hasselblad (ARC and Flex), and LF, Scheimpflug is the one of the primary reasons that people take the class. They want to learn how to use it.

Scheimpflug on the SL66, much like the FlexBody, is everything one needs for landscape work. When I take out my Linhof, it is not to gain movements (I don't do much architecture), it is to gain film size.

Jim

At 04:12 PM 2/12/2006, Jerry Lehrer wrote:

Jim

Since the SL66 only has a tilting front (the lens standard), only the most basic
condition for the Scheimpflug principle can be used. To really use that
Principe,
you should have a lens standard AND a film holder that tilts and swings. Also
they should be capable of rising and falling as well as lateral shift. I used
these features in my Graflex View camera II..

I tried a H'blad Arcbody (not Flexbody) but it was too FE for my budget.

Jerry

--- Rollei List