[rollei_list] Re: A TLR Rolleiflex in the Everest

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 20:23:58 -0400

At 07:40 PM 10/26/2009, CarlosMFreaza wrote:
>Thank you for the explanation Marc, anyway there are some points I
>disagree slightly. Tom Stobart, according the Royal Geographical
>Society records was in charge of the expedition movies while Gregory
>was in charge of the still photographs, in fact you can see in the RGS
>official images pages I quoted previously several photographs about
>Stobart using the cine film camera. The photographs were taken by
>every expedition member, but you can read in the RGS images pages data
>that most of the more significant photographs and more important
>expedition members portraits (except in the Everest summit) were taken
>by Alfred Gregory, and the best B&W portraits were taken with the
>Rolleiflex. These Rolleiflex photographs are included in the official
>RGS images pages with a RGS  copyright notice and RGS watermark. I
>have no doubt Gregory kept images taken with the Contax II, the Retina
>II and the Rolleiflex for his three books but he also took images with
>these three cameras for the official expeditions registers, I quote
>again the RGS URL; they are 21 pages with more than 300 photographs,
>the Rolleiflex shots are identifiable clearly and easily:

Carlos

With respect, please read the literature and do not rely on the most unreliable RGS website. Pick up THE ASCENT OF EVEREST and Jan Morris' books and those of Hillary and Tenzing and a dozen others. Stobart was technically the cine photographer but the Everest Committee had a long history of problems with cine photographers and normally ordered them to work as assistant still photographers. As events turned out, there was more cine film from the '22 and '24 climbs than from the '53 ascent.

After the fight with Captain Noell, the Everest Committee insisted that ALL films be turned over to them for processing and control. Gregory might have had some sort of private deal with them to allow him use of the images, but the films were taken to London and processed there.

Most Expedition members were not permitted to touch the official cameras after the '36 Expedition. The record is clear on that, despite what the RGS might today claim. Only Gregory and Stobart used the Contax II's and if you have contrary knowledge other than vague blatherings from the RGS, I would like to know of this. Had Gregory permitted anyone other than Stobart to use the Contax gear, this would have violated their employment contracts, and Gregory and the person using the gear would not have been paid their salary. It was a draconian contract, insisted on by Lord Hunt. The Everest Committee was quite unhappy with what they regarded as the slipshod methods used by Shipton on the '51 South Face recon Expedition. The nasty Executive Secretary was retired and dead by then, but the philosophy remained, of not trusting photographers as they always seemed to want to make money out of their pictures.

A minor point: when Tenzing and Hillary summitted, the word was privately sent to Buck Place by James Morris, again with the assistance of the Indian Army. Queen Elizabeth shared this with her mother, and the Queen Mum insisted that Howard-Bury, the leader of the '21 Recon Expedition, and Brigadier Norton, the final leader of the '24 Climb, be notified. They were: Howard-Bury was then living in Morocco with his catamite, but, what the hey, this was real stuff, and we can ignore the foibles of the very higher ranks of the British aristocracy, can't we?

Again, the RGS website is not a terribly reliable source. I can send you a bibliography of around 25 or so books and articles you ought to read before opining on the topic. I can do so off-list. My primary interest is in the Prewar British expeditions but I do have some interest in the '53 climb and I was the guy who made Sir Edmund cough up the serial numbers from his Retina, after all. I've been researching this for more than a quarter of a century.

I was also the guy who called Tom Holzell in '99 to tell him they had found Captain Mallory's corpse. He and I are the two hold-outs who still feel that Irvine's body is still there, with the two VP Kodaks on it, on the North Face. The others have figured out that the body is buried somewhere beneath the Rongbuk Glacier but this seems silly: bodies do not roll off the North Face other than in the Grand Couloir, a "Slide to Death", as Brigadier Norton called it. Hell, the oxygen cylinders left by Mallory have been found. They did not roll off the mountain. They were on the North-East Ridge.

A climber around 1980 working up the South-East Face -- "I am glad we shall not have to attempt that monster", Mallory said -- found leather and metal strap pieces on the scarf of the Face. She threw them away not realizing their significance until later. Mallory made the top and he then in his school-boy exuberance, tossed the exhausted oxygen cylinders down that awesome face, with their carriers which had leather and metal buckles. There are a hundred bits of evidence showing that Mallory himself or Mallory and Irvine summitted but, then, a REAL summit is when you reach the top and return alive, and that did not happen in '24. That Mallory's corpse lacked a copy of the picture of himself and his wife which he had pledged to leave at the top means to me that he made it, though others do not understand the significance of this lack. Mallory was a post-pubescent child in most regards. But he was the finest rock climber of his generation if not of all time, and that particular time had the North Slope swept free of ice and snow. It was his perfect climbing terrain.

Sorry to rattle on.  Mention Everest, and I go off on tangents!

Seriously, Carlos, would you like me to share the bibliography with you? It will help you understand a lot more about the politics of the '53 climb. And allow me to thank you for bringing Gregory's book to my knowledge: the Everest folks seem to be unaware of its existence.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!