[rollei_list] Re: A TLR Rolleiflex in the Everest

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 00:58:17 -0400

At 12:40 AM 10/26/2009, CarlosMFreaza wrote:
>Alfred Gregory was in charge of stills photography during the 1953
>Mount Everest expedition, he went to 27,900 feet (8500 m) in support
>of Hillary and Tenzing. Alfred Gregory wrote a book called "Alfred
>Gregory's Everest", published in 1993 in UK by Constable, 175 pages 8x
>11 inches, this is an excerpt from this book:
>
>"My 35 mm cameras were a Contax and a Kodak Retina 2. The Contax, with
>50 mm and 125 mm interchangeable lenses, was my main camera for colour
>but when I went high on the South-East Ridge, to almost 28,000 feet, I
>carried the more compact Retina up to the highest camp. Throughout
>that day I only shot Kodachrome from which excellent blank and white
>negatives were made later.
>I also took a twin-lens Rolleiflex which I used for black and white.
>Despite being more bulky than the Contax and Retina it was extremely
>easy to use and with its superb Zeiss lens it was capable of producing
>pictures of exquisite quality. I took it as the South Col and the
>final results made the extras effort well worth while. When in recent
>years these three cameras were stolen I felt I had lost a very real
>part of history".
>
>I bought this book today and hope to receive it for the next month.

Interesting. Gregory was a contributor to the official Expedition report, THE ASCENT OF EVEREST and there are some shots of him with his cameras. I knew that a Retina had been stolen but confused Gregory's camera with that of Sir Edmund which was not, of course, stolen.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!