[rollei_list] Re: A TLR Rolleiflex in the Everest

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 19:10:26 -0400

At 04:03 PM 10/26/2009, CarlosMFreaza wrote:
>Marc,  at least you rejected any possibility about an official
>Rolleiflex in the expedition during an old discussion, the Rolleiflex
>used by Alfred Gregory was used officially for official photographs
>independently if it was -or not- a Gregory personal camera and Gregory
>was the expedition official photographer. BTW it's a known fact
>mentioned in several Rollei books from the fifties that there was a
>Rolleiflex  in the expedition, Alec Pearlman mentions it in his Rollei
>books, but when I mentioned it in the old discussion, you ignored or
>questioned the source, now I have Gregory like direct source and the
>_official_ photographs taken with the Rolleiflex.-

Carlos

I first read THE ASCENT OF EVEREST around 1959 and have never doubted since that Gregory took his Rolleiflex TLR to the South Col, though, at age 9, I wasn't certain just what a Rolleiflex TLR was. This was not the official Expedition camera: the official cameras were Contax II's. The film shot by Gregory on his personal cameras was not under the control of the Everest Committee and thus did not come under the RGS restrictions. The films but not those shot by Hillary at the summit were smuggled out by the TIMES correspondent, James (now Jan) Morris with the assistance of the Indian Army. Morris has written about this as well, as did Tenzing.

All I have ever said was that the Contax II's donated by TIME-LIFE were the official 1953 Everest Expedition cameras. If I ever suggested doubt that Gregory had his personal Rolleiflex TLR along, I apologize: I have known better for fifty years.

Hillary tried to get Morris to smuggle out the summit pictures but Lord Hunt intervened and seized the film as an official record, and thus these pictures now come under the control of the RGS.

My grandmother did ask Hillary about his summit film when she met Sir Edmund in 1963, at my request. Hillary laughed and referred to Brigadier Hunt as "an unstoppable force" when it came to the good of the Expedition. But, then, Hillary was always happier climbing with Shipton, just as Tenzing was happier with the Swiss climber, the late Raymond Lambert, with whom he was paired in the two 1952 South Face Swiss climbs, when they finally equalled the high points set by Finch in '22 and Norton in '24 on the North Face. Hillary and I corresponded about the film a decade or so back, and I will try to dig out my copy of the letter: I believe it is in the case of my signed Douglas MacArthur autobiography along with other such correspondence.

The actual photographer of many of the official pictures in '53, by the way, was Gregory's assistant, Tom Stobart. The shots of Gregory in '53 show him as rather frail, and I am surprised on reflection to realize that he made the South Col. Stobart made it up to CVIII.

As late as 1985, we still had three survivors alive from the '24 climb, when Mallory almost certainly summitted. Today, the only survivor of the '53 climb is Gregory and all of the earlier lads are sitting in some Mountaineer's Valhalla, eating pickled peacock's brains and such delicacies and discussing the Second Step and the Hillary Notch.

I apologize if I gave you the impression I doubted the presence of a Rolleiflex TLR at the South Col in 1953 in earlier exchanges. I was only trying to say that this was a private camera carried high by the official photographer, not that it was not present with the Expedition.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!