[rollei_list] Re: A TLR Rolleiflex in the Everest

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 07:57:47 -0400

At 06:19 AM 10/27/2009, CarlosMFreaza wrote:

>I don't know why to talk about terms of to win or to lose. I have some
>elements to doubt the Rolleiflex was Gregory personal camera, but I'll
>accept  it was a private camera for the moment, it is not significant
>IMO.
>Facts are that the Rolleiflex was used by the expedition official
>photographer to take official photographs since the RGS has or had
>rights on them; and to take official photographs (and Gregory personal
>photographs too) it was carried very high in the Everest under the
>worst conditions, like these two photographs about Sir Edmund Hillary
>and Tenzig Norgay in the Camp IV (about 26300 feet, 8017m):.
>http://images.rgs.org/imageDetails.aspx?barcode=22138
>
>http://images.rgs.org/imageDetails.aspx?barcode=21398

Carlos

This is really becoming a silly exchange. Would you PLEASE read THE ASCENT OF EVEREST where all of this is discussed in detail? Minor points:

No, there was no "official" Rolleiflex or Retina camera on the '53 climb. The official cameras were the Contax II's, Every other camera was a private one, and, to my knowledge, these consisted of Gregory's two cameras, a Rolleiflex and a Retina, and Hillary's 118 Retina. If other cameras were there, evidence of their presence has not surfaced.

Gregory's film was smuggled out by James Morris. That is certain and clear from Morris' reminiscences. These were not "official" photographs. Gregory made certain that these were not "official" pictures. I would ask you to actually go to London to check the RGS files and note the distinction. The RGS will begrudge you access to the official shots but will provide you open access to Gregory's pictures as these are not "official" and as the Everest Committee does not own the rights to them.

The South Col is really not all that high. It is the next 2,500 feet which is brutal. I do not know who shot the pictures of the remnants of the Tenzing/Lambert CVIII of 1952, but these pictures are always credited to Stobart. I feel certain that Gregory never made it to 28.000 feet.

Again, if you would like, allow me to provide you a bibliography on the subject.

I am not bemoaning Gregory or his contributions. But the story is a lot larger than you suggest.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!