[pure-silver] Re: Speaking Of Graflex

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 23:16:11 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Howard Efner" <hfefner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 2:48 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Speaking Of Graflex

Well there is always Ye Olde Grafmatic back - held, I think, 10 or 12 shots of 4x5 film. If you could find one, no telling how many light leaks there are in the leather bellows that let you change film septums. ;-)
Howard Efner
de KF5RGU

You are thinking of the magazine made for the old Graflex locking back. I beleive these hald 12 films. The Graflex Grafmatic is an all-metal magazine that holds 6 sheets of cut film in metal septums (septae?). The holder is arranged so that when the handle is slid the front sheet is moved around to the back. There is a counter on the side and when all films are exposed it locks. There are no light leaks. They have a dark slide but its not the same size as the usual Graflex film holder and are often missing. Grafmatic holders were made for all sizes of Speed and Crown Graphics and to fit both Graflex and Graflok backs. The two backs are different. Because of the thickness of the holder it doesn't work well in the old spring type Graphic back although I think the last generation of all-metal Graphic backs will accept the Graflok version.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL