[pure-silver] Re: Graflex Optar vs. Kodak Ektar

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 23:08:50 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Daneliuk" <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:24 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Graflex Optar vs. Kodak Ektar

I just bought a 4x5 Graflex with a 127mm Ektar on it. I've had excellent results with various Ektars in the past, but I wonder if anyone could comment on the Optars by comparison? I've only used an Optar on the smaller
2x3 Graflex years ago and - if memory serves - it was OK.

The Optar appears to be the same as the Wollensak Raptar. One has to be careful about which Optar/Raptar is being discussed. The Optars found on Speed and Crown Graphics, in my experience, are inferior lenses that appear to have a design problem. The problem shows up as serious coma or probaby oblique spherical aberration, the two look very similar. The symptom is smearing toward the edges of the image unless the iris is stopped down nearly all the way. Now, all Tessar type lenses, including the Ektar have some oblique spherical but in the f/4.5, 127mm Ektar its gone even on a 4x5 film by f/11 and there is very little at f/8. The Wollensak Optars have visible smearing until stopped down to about f/22. Now, a word of warning: first Optar was a trade mark of Graflex and other companies than Wollensak made Optars. The Optar lenses on the Super Graphic and Super Speed Graphic are Rodenstock lenses of excellent quality. Also, the Optar lenses on Graflex cameras appear to be of a differen design from those on the Speed/Crown Graphic. The 190mm Optar on my Super-D is an excellent lens. Also, the Tele-Raptar/Tele-Optar are very good lenses. The Enlarging Raptar seems to suffer from the same problem as the Speed Graphic lenses, avoid them. OTOH, Enlarging Ektars are excellent lenses nearly comparable to modern enlarging lenses. They are modified Heliars with a design similar to the lens on the Kodak Medalist camera. FWIW, Kodak was making lenses which were the equal of any made anywhere during the Ektar period. All the Ektar series were designed with special attention to color performance because Kodak was interested in selling color film. The Commercial Ektar and its predecessor the Eastman Ektar, are very nearly apochromatic lenses. Unfortunately, the larger Ektars came in Ilex shutters. While quite servicable they are not the equal of others in accuracy or repeatability. The large Wollensak shutters are much superior. Wollensak made excellent shutters (their original business) and variable lenses. Kodak shutters are also very good and generally repairable but often need new drive springs. They are very ruggedly built. The advantage of Wollensak and Ilex shutters is that all the springs are hair springs and so reasonably easy to make from spring wire.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL