[pure-silver] Re: Speaking Of Graflex

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 12:02:01 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Kirwan" <mkirwan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2014 8:34 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Speaking Of Graflex

Cambo, which was sold by Calumet has a 6x12 back which is very similar in design to the Calumet 6x9 & 6x7 holders. In fact a 6x12 Cambo is on EBay
right now :)

Mike

The type of back originated by Grflex as the Graflok was adopted by a number of manufacturers as the "Universal Back". I am not sure that all will take all accrssories but must take most of them. Graflex supplied Graflok backs for all sizes of Speed/Crown Graphics and Graflex cameras but accessories for some sizes are very rare. For several years Graflex tried to get press photographers to convert from 4x5 to 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 but with little success. This size has become a true orphan with few items including plain regular sheet film holders available. Its very practical to use roll holders in 2-1/4x 3-1/2 cameras and Graflex and others made adaptors that would take 8, 9, or 12 frames on 120 film. The 9 frame size has the same aspect ratio as 4x5. Graflok backs were introduced on the Century Graphic, a low-cost miniature press camera made of Bakelite. The back was intregal with the body. I don't remember the exact date but it will be at the Graflex site at http://www.graflex.org The Century Graphic came out about a year before Graflex began offering Graflok backs for all its press and SLR cameras of 4x5 and smaller. AFAIK, none were ever made for 5x7 size but by the late 1940s the Graphic cameras in this size had been long discontinued although I think some Graflex cameras were still made in it. The miniature size Graflex SLR is no larger than a Mamiya RBZ and is a rather nice camera. I don't think the automatic iris was offered in this size. The iris mounting was made by Kodak in only one size and accounts for the speed of the f/5.6, 190mm Ektar and Optar since this is the maximum opening of the iris. The same iris was used for the f/4.5, 150mm lens used on the 3-1/4x 4-1/4 camera.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL