[pure-silver] Re: Optimum results pushing 4x5 Tri-x 320 at 800 or 1600iso??

  • From: Gerald Koch <gerald.koch@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 08:10:18 -0700 (PDT)

I agree with Richard that Phenidone and it derivatives give "about a stop more
speed than box speed".  The operative word here is "about".  Additional speed
is dependant on the choice of developer and I would say that Xtol yields the
greatest speed increase.  Even so texts that I am familiar with give a speed
increase closer to 2/3 stop rather than a full stop.

There is a saffety factor in the box speed of another 1 stop.  So with careful
metering you should be able to get about 2 extra stops of speed.  The advice to
bracket is a good one in circumstances such as described.

Jerry