[pure-silver] Re: Optimum results pushing 4x5 Tri-x 320 at 800 or 1600iso??

  • From: <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 21:15:10 -0700

I agree with the others.  I know Ansel didn't bracket, but how many of us have his knowledge and talent?  I bracket.  ISO is really not going to make that much difference when all the other factors come into play.  Better to set the camera on a solid tripod and if need be add a bit of weight to make sure its rock solid.  Try to pick a calm night.  Id use the f stop that happens to be the sweet spot for the lens, then keep adding seconds.

One thing you might do that would get you close is to take your (sorry guys) digital camera.  Put on the tripod and go up in time till you get something on the display that comes close to what you are looking for.  The exposure will not transfer directly over, but it should get you in the ball park and you can bracket from there.

Many of old timers remember doing things like this with Polaroid film.