[pure-silver] Re: Optimum results pushing 4x5 Tri-x 320 at 800 or 1600iso??

  • From: Bill Riley <bill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 22:34:09 -0400

Bogdan,

Here's something to try that's not too difficult and will let you keep using
your current development process.

Take a look at your scene that you want to capture and identify the darkest
area that you want to see some detail - not a lot of detail but enough so that
it's not a black hole.  Then try to get a meter reading of just that area using
your standard iso and processes for that film.  A spot meter would be most
helpful but perhaps you can find a way to just meter the darkest area with
detail.
Take that reading and add two stops to the exposure -- over expose by two stops.
Then under develop the film.  With as much contrast you have, I'd try to
develop for only around five minutes or so.  Maybe even dilute the developer.
For example D-76  @ 1:1 instead of stock.

What you would be doing is exposing for the shadows and developing for the
highlights.   Since the scene is very contrasty, you under develop to reduce
the contrast.  Or in some terms, compress the dynamic range.

Getting the meter reading is the tricky part if you don't have a spot meter.

Once you have the meter reading and add a couple of stops, take a few shots and
try a few under development times as I described.  You'll find a development
time that gives you some detail in both the shadows and the dark.

Bill