[pure-silver] Re: Film processing problem

  • From: "K W Hart" <kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 22:33:11 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: Michael Healy
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:43 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Film processing problem

One of my students is getting problem results that have me pretty confounded.

She's a new student. Got her first roll processed by the lab (a real one, not a Wal-Mart). They use dip & dunk, and (I think) replenisher T-max. She did the second one herself yesterday in HC-110 (E). Both are 35mm. One was FP4, the other HP5.

Both rolls show these periodic black strips from edge to edge. The light leak type. Most are just inside one edge of the image, and I think every one is on the same side of the image. These have soft edges, not hard lines. Each is the same width, about 1/4 inch. The first roll had a bunch of them - a roll of 24 shots with about 6-7 of these black bars. The second roll had only one, I think. Given different films and processing, it doesn't sound like a processing or loading problem. I'm inclined to think it must be the camera. She says she did not open the back except to load and unload. She was thinking it might have to do with changing lenses (she was using two interchangeably). That didn't make sense to me, though - especially because she did deliberately change the lenses a couple of times on the 2nd roll, trying to replicate the problem.

I've had my share of light leaks but I don't ever recall seeing anything like this. Well, actually I did, on my ancient 8x10, which doesn't always press hard enough to seal the loading side after I pull out the darkslide. The effect on hers is similar, though more defined and contained, like a crack of light instead of a seeping leak. I've googled for this, but all I get are the 85 blogsters lecturing me on the 5 things we learned to recognize in Photo 101 back in The Day. So I'm really perplexed. Anyone have experience of what I've described?

Mike Healy

On a couple of my Kiev 88 (Russian copy of the Hassy 500) film backs, I sometimes get light leaks. But only if the film has sat at one frame for a period of time (hours to days). The light leak is before and after the frame; ie: if frame 5 is at the film plane, a light leak affects frames 4 and 6. If I load the film back and use the entire roll during a session (maybe 30 minutes or less), no problem. This only occurs if the film is left for several days in room light, or several hours in sunlight.

Eposure is cumulative. If she has a very small light leak in the camera, it may be sufficiently small that it causes no ill effect when the film is used over a short period of time. On the other hand, if she leaves the camera for several hours (or days), there may be a sufficient amount of light getting in to cause the problem. You say that her first roll had several. Perhaps she could go over that roll and try to recall her actions. If, for example, there was a light leak on frame six and 12; did she put the camera down for a time after shooting frame 5 and 11, or frame 7 and 13? If the second roll had only one, did she stop shooting for a period of time within a frame or two of the affected frame?

As a work-around, does she have a "never-ready" case for the camera? With my Canon FX's, the case covers the entire back and bottom of the camera so that a bad seal would not be a problem- assuming I used the never-ready case!

The lens changing idea doesn't cut the mustard for me either. If the shutter curtains were not fully closing, the edges of the light leak would be sharp since the shutter is almost in contact with the film.

Good luck!

Ken Hart
kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxxx