[pure-silver] Re: Nikon users?

  • From: "Randy Stewart" <randal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 18:04:22 -0800

Janet,

The F3 is bigger, heavier and more complex to operate than the FG, as are almost any other nikon body.

In increasing probably cost to purchase, consider

1. Another FG, or more likely an FG-20, which is a slightly later and imporved variation in the same size/weight class. These were not tough Nikon bodies of that era, so I'd shop this one in person rather than on the internet. Once owned and used an FG-20 as a backup - a nice little body.

2. The FM/FE series is slightly bigger and heavier, but a more competent and durable series of bodies. Of the bunch, I'd personally recommend the FE2, but it tends to command a premium price. Of the numerous Nikon bodies I've used over the years, the FE2 is the one I still keep around. The FM series is manual only; the FE series is manual and aperature preferred auto-exposure.

3. A current/new FM-3A; name notwithstanding, it functions much like the FE series. Expensive but new.

Skip the FA body - Nikon's first effort at matrix metering [a hit] and fully electronic meter/shutter operation [a miss for lack of durabuility and no practical possibility of repair now, and plastic body panels].

The common thread here is that all of these bodies, as compared to your FG, will require no signiificant learning to use, and none have the dozens of surplus features of most other Nikons of the last 15 years - meaning that you will not have to carry around a manual just to keep track of the body functions and how to operate them.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Janet Cull" <jcull@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>