[pure-silver] Re: New Darkroom-Washing Prints

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:58:00 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben R. McRee" <ben.mcree@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2005 10:11 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] New Darkroom-Washing Prints

I'm pleased to report that my first home darkroom (including the homemade sink I wrote about over the summer-see below for lessons my sink taught me) is up and running. I was able to print for the first time this past weekend, and everything works well; I am thrilled. But I also have a question about washing prints. All my work in the past has been in school or rental darkrooms with serious print washing equipment. For my new set up I decided to try a kodak tray siphon, see how it works, and go from there.

How fast should I have the water flowing through the siphon? Is a small stream, just barely more than a trickle, sufficient? Should the water be gushing out of the siphon? I know that I need to test this, and I've ordered some testing solution, but am hoping those of you who have used siphons can provide some general guidance.

--Ben

Kodak recommends the flow be sufficient to change water in 5 minutes. My tray syphon works faster than this in an oversize 16x20 tray.
If you wash more than one print at a time make sure to keep them separted. This requires constant attention. The syphon does a good job of washing but is less convenient than a washer that keeps the prints separated mechanically. I also use the tray syphon for sheet film.

---