[pure-silver] New Darkroom-Washing Prints

  • From: "Ben R. McRee" <ben.mcree@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:11:23 -0400

I'm pleased to report that my first home darkroom (including the homemade sink I wrote about over the summer-see below for lessons my sink taught me) is up and running. I was able to print for the first time this past weekend, and everything works well; I am thrilled. But I also have a question about washing prints. All my work in the past has been in school or rental darkrooms with serious print washing equipment. For my new set up I decided to try a kodak tray siphon, see how it works, and go from there.

How fast should I have the water flowing through the siphon? Is a small stream, just barely more than a trickle, sufficient? Should the water be gushing out of the siphon? I know that I need to test this, and I've ordered some testing solution, but am hoping those of you who have used siphons can provide some general guidance.

--Ben

LESSONS MY SINK TAUGHT ME
A circular saw is a wonderful thing.
There is a reason they make shop vacs.
The staff at Home Depot will think you are crazy.
Cutting is fast. Sanding is slow.
Cordless drills are overrated.
Wood filler is fun!
Cutting 2x4s precisely the same length is impossible.
Two magic words: corner clamp.
Two more magical words: combination square.
Amine blush is real.
Marine paint (I used Interlux Brightside enamel) makes an amateur look like a pro.

This was a time consuming project. I worked on it off and on over the course of a month. I started with almost no carpentry experience, but it turned out great, and I am very proud of the finished product. I can't help but smile when I look at it and think-I did that! Giving credit where credit is due, I could not have done it without the excellent plans and step-by-step instructions in Lista Duren and Will McDonald's _Build Your Own Home Darkroom_. Highly recommended for neophytes like me.