[pure-silver] Re: Modified Agfa 108 with multigrade paper

  • From: "Mike Kirwan" <mkirwan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 20:11:39 -0700

I apologize for jumping into this thread a little late. But do have a couple
of questions. Your enlarger is pretty good quality and you should be getting
even illumination. Have you checked to make sure the condensers are
correctly adjusted for the negative size you are using. I saw this problem
all the time at the school where I TA'ed and spent at least an hour per
session correctly adjusting the condenser height. Many of these enlargers
had a scale on the right hand side showing the correct condenser height.

Your lens is of really good quality and has coverage at least to 6x9 cm so
more than adequate for your 6x6 negatives.

So the only other variable I can think of is your print agitation method.
Again have seen this with students who just slide the print into the
developer - quick shake of the tray and let it sit for 2 minutes. I
recommend at least constant agitation for the first 45-60 seconds.

Have you checked to see if you have the right bulb installed? That also
could be a problem - regular household bulbs will give uneven lighting and
could also be the problem.

My guess is either the condenser or the bulb - get that knocked and you
should be able to go back to using your contrast filters.

Mike