[pure-silver] Re: Modified Agfa 108 with multigrade paper

  • From: Jeffrey Thorns <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:47:51 -0700

A long time ago, we had a customer who photographed something against seemless, or something equally uniform and without detail. He shot either 4x5 or 8x10.

When we made prints for them, there was a slight pattern to the 'uniform' background. They really chewed us up about that, so we 'thought outside the box'. We pulled the neg from the enlarger, projected onto some sort of sheet film, underdeveloped it, the placed it over the neg carrier to act as a contrast mask (sort of). (it was, essentially, a photographic negative of the pattern of the enlarger illumination) It did reduce the unevenness, though it did not solve it.

It really depends on the tonal distribution of the neg. Some negs will hide all kinds of illumination issues, some negs will show every flaw.