[pure-silver] Re: Modified Agfa 108 with multigrade paper

  • From: Mark Blackwell <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 22:05:53 -0700 (PDT)

Well I don't have the enlarger you have, but I don't see how you could do my
enlarger with any sort of laser device. Yes you could check to see that the
frame is level and plumb, but the D2 has an adjustment at the negative carrier.
 Mine hasn't needed it in a long time, but if I recall correctly there is a
screw that can be loosened and then the area on which the negative carrier sits
can also be adjusted.  Its not a quick process on mine, but precision is a
must.  The slightest difference between the base plate, or in your case the
floor or whatever you happen to focus on, must be the same or you will both
differences in light and focus.  Assuming you did all that, is it possible that
something other than the enlarger shifted?  Im in Texas now and foundations
here shift around a great deal in some areas.  Could the house have settled a
bit, or a floor not be exactly level?  Mine can be checked against the
baseboard on which its mounted.  Yours has to be checked against
 what ever you are using to focus on, whether its the floor or a table or
whatever.  If the enlarger mounted to the wall is level and plumb and the
negative carrier is also, it won't matter if the floor or table isn't.

The enlarge Ihave is an old DII with a color head and is a diffusion enlarger.
No condensers to worry about and adding or reducing magenta usually gets the
contrast where I want it.

hksvk <hksvk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: on 3/16/07 5:31 PM, Richard Knoppow at
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Someone suggested aligning the enlarger, I think this is
> a very good idea and wish I had made the suggestion.

My enlarger is mounted on the wall and I have a laser alignment tool that
works with surprising ease and accuracy. I do check the alignment before
doing any critical work (this checking is very easy and quick), and find
that the Beseler 45MCRX holds the alignment very well.

Thanks for all your thoughts, Richard and all the others of you who have
applied your minds to this set of problems. It has been very helpful to hear
from you.

The fish are biting.