[pure-silver] Re: Modified Agfa 108 with multigrade paper

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 19:04:45 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "hksvk" <hksvk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 4:37 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Modified Agfa 108 with multigrade paper

Thank you for your helpful responses, especially the one correcting my notion that I should be able to increase contrast to the extent I want by
using a high contrast developer with the same paper.

I am using the El-Nikkor 105f5.6 enlarging lens. Isn't this a pretty good one? It shouldn't be a cause for uneven or irregular densities, should it?

When intensifying a negative with Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner, is it necessary to first treat it to 'harden' it, ie., to prevent blotching or
other unevenness? with formaldehyde?

Harry

I don't have direct experience with the El-Nikkor but its supposed to be one of the three best on the market. 105mm is slightly long for 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 ("normal" is 75mm or 80mm) so its fall off should be a bit less. All "standard" lenses have fall off which approximates cos^4 theta where theta is the image half-angle. There are lenses with more and some with less. In any case, I don't think the lens is the problem. For best illumination with a condenser lamp house the condenser should be focused at the entrance pupil of the lens (for enlarging the entrance pupil is on the side facing the negative). This is approximately somewher between the rear surface and the iris. Its not _that_ critical. It may help to get an approximate focus by first focusing the lens with a negative in the holder for the size image you want. Then remove the lens and the negative and hold a piece of paper under the lamphouse, you should have an image of the lamp itself focused somewhere around the back to the middle of the lens. Once you have this replace the lens, replace the negative to make sure its still in focus. Then remove it and fine focus the condenser for the best uniformity of illumination. In theory this should be done with the lens wide open but I would check it stopped down a couple of stops too. Use an enlaring meter to check the illumination. You may still have problems if the printing contrast is high enough. If the uneveness is just fall off from the center you may be able to correct it by using a round card to burn in the corners. I card cut from black print mount cardboard works well. Tape it to some wire, an unbent coathanger works well, as a handle. You will need to experiment to get it right but the enlarging exposure meter should give some guidance. Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner has the virtue of not damaging the emulsion, no special hardening is needed. I suggest pre-soaking dry negatives for a few minutes before toning to insure even take up of the toner. 1:3 dilution probably will work too fast, begin with 1:9 and if it isn't going fast enough put more toner in (after taking the film out of course). The negatives can be washed, dried, and tested and then toned more if needed. At some point the toner will have toned as far as it can. The amount of intensification available from KRST is limited compared to some other intensifiers but it is safe for the film and for you and is easily available. KRST was used for many years as an after treatment to protect images against oxidation and sufiding. It was discovered that the very slight toning given for this purpose was not always effective so other methods were gone to. However, enough toning to intensify the image detectably is enough to give it full protection so the intensified negatives will be very long lived. I would experiment on a single negative, perhaps one of minimal importance. Follow toning with about a 30 minute wash. Less may be sufficient for film.

---