[pure-silver] Good acutance and tonality for HP5+ 120 format

  • From: Peter Badcock <peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 15:57:54 +1000

Hi folks,

I am about to develop a roll of HP5+ (120 format) and I need you to help me
settle on a choice of developer.  So Initially, here are my observations and
requirements:

   1. My scene contains a landscape shot with a Subject Brightness Range
   (SBR) of about 8-9 stops.
   2. I would like use a developer which will provide very good acutance.
   3. I think I would like linear tonal separation over the SBR of the scene
   (let me know if that requirement will not result in subjectively pleasing
   results).
   4. I'm not too fussed about minor to moderate differences in grain size
   because print size will be no more than about 11x14inches.
   5. I think I have narrowed down my developer choice to either Perceptol
   or XTOL.

Can people help me decide between those two developers which will optimise
points 2 and 3 above? (Or even offer another suggestion - e.g. I also have
some 510-pyro to make up).

regards
Peter