[pure-silver] Re: Good acutance and tonality for HP5+ 120 format

  • From: RobC <ps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 12:12:57 +0100

Acutance shouldn't be a problem with 120 film regardless of which developer you
are using. Some will give more but good technique will negate the need to worry
about it. i.e. use a tripod if practical to do so. Use optimum aperture for the
particular lens you are using. take great care in focussing. When printing
ensure enlarger is perfectly aligned and I do mean PERFECTLY. And when
enlarging use sharpest enlarger lens aperture for the magnification you are
using.
If you get all those correct then you really shouldn't need to worry about
film/developer accutance. If you are relying on film/developer acutance to
resolve the other potential problems then you will be disappointed. What I'm
really saying here is that the cause of lack of sharpness in the print is not
usually a function of film/developer combination but rather one of poor
technique and lack of attention to optimum use of equipment.

RobC