[pure-silver] Re: Good acutance and tonality for HP5+ 120 format

  • From: RobC <ps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 20:50:18 +0100

Perceptol and HP5 is a pretty good combination. But for acutance you need to
dilute to 1+2 or 1+3 and doing that will put a longer toe and shoulder into the
curve. How much depends on what your normal development is trying to achieve
and you must test for that as what I or anyone else gets as a result may differ
from what you get.
Perceptol stock or 1+1 will give a pretty straight curve when developed for
only an 8 stop range. but stock or 1+1 still has a high concentration of
solvent so it won't give a lot of acutance. But if you are not enlarging much
then it shouldn't be a problem. I'd suggest that ID11 may be better for that or
possibly rodinal. Never tried xtol so can't comment on that.
I think Delta 400 gives better quality negs than HP5.