[pure-silver] Re: Good acutance and tonality for HP5+ 120 format

  • From: <C.Breukel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 17:11:49 +0200

> for the hump.
>
> As a point of curiosity, I have a question for all of you regarding
HP5.
> In
> all my tests, it was the single worst performing film available. The
grain
> is horrible, the emulsion makes the film inherently soft, and the only
> acutance to speak of is a measurable increase in the visibility of the
> grain. Mind you, this is based on testing and not usage, so my
question
> is;
> why do any of you use it? What feedback do you receive from the final
> image
> that causes you to like the film?

Hi Bob,

I always find it hard to describe the qualities of a film, and by no
means I did extensive testing. I switched from APX400 to HP5 + because I
could not get statisfactory imgages with APX400, grainy and mushy. I
switched to HP5, souped in XTOL 1:1 And I also switched camera's from a
Fuijca 645 folder to a Bronica RF 645. The technical quality of my
images greatly improved; smooth mid tones, crisp details, low grain,
nice sharpness. I mostly shoot city scapes and my kids, and overall am
pleased with the technical part of it, enlarging to 30*40 does show
grain, but I do not find it objectional

Overall I find this combo superiour than the Ilford Delta 400 which I
run through my 35mm Olympus OM4 (mostly 50mm standard lens)

(it should be..;-)..)

Best,

Cor