[pure-silver] Re: AW: Re: toxicity

  • From: <C.Breukel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 10:33:54 +0200

Well, there is still an area were the use of KCN fixer is still very
much alive..the Wet Plate Collodion shooters like me.

I myself never wanted to get involved in using KCN as a fixer, I use
ordinairy Ammoinium thiosulphate fix, but there are still quite a few
practisioners who use KCN. I did not hear stories about difficulties in
obtaining KCN, oddly enough I might add, the stuff aint nice,
espescially if you are so dumb to mix it with the acid developer,
releasing deadly HCN gas..

The reason for KCNB fix (other than historic) is that the resulting
colour of the ambrotype (collodion negative on glass with a black
backing turning it in a positive again) is influenced by the fixer; KCN;
warm creamy, AmmThio: Sepia; SoubiumThio: neutral..

Best,

Cor

The
> reviews they have are all quite supportive.
>
> > BTW, I am always a bit amused by detective stories that are based on
> some
> > photographer having an ample supply of cyanide.
>
> Many years ago, a little after the Jonestown incident, I was at City
> Chemical Corp. in New York City to get some photo chemicals. Just for
> laughs, I asked what potassium cyanide cost, it it was quite cheap;
IIRC