[pure-silver] what is acutance?

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 08:41:30 -0500

I shoot a lot of HP5+ in that format.

I love perceptol but it's very expensive.

I use to use DDX 1+4 with HP5+. But even that seemed too pricey, so I went back to D-76. I'm satisfied with the look of the prints: not grainy, good tonality. With a high SBR, the development time would be less than normal, so there would be even less chance for too much grain. What is the paper scale? Mine is usually 1.2 with a diffusion enlarger on Ilford warm tone paper.

I'm not sure what acutance is.

--shannon

On May 18, 2009, at 12:57 AM, Peter Badcock wrote:

Hi folks,

I am about to develop a roll of HP5+ (120 format) and I need you to help me settle on a choice of developer.  So Initially, here are my observations and requirements: 1 My scene contains a landscape shot with a Subject Brightness Range (SBR) of about 8-9 stops.
        2       I would like use a developer which will provide very good
acutance.
3 I think I would like linear tonal separation over the SBR of the scene (let me know if that requirement will not result in subjectively pleasing results). 4 I'm not too fussed about minor to moderate differences in grain size because print size will be no more than about 11x14inches. 5 I think I have narrowed down my developer choice to either Perceptol or XTOL.

Can people help me decide between those two developers which will optimise points 2 and 3 above? (Or even offer another suggestion - e.g. I also have some 510-pyro to make up).

regards
Peter

http://shannonstoney-twors.blogspot.com/
http://branguslane.blogspot.com/