[pure-silver] Re: Darkrooms

  • From: Georges Giralt <georges.giralt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 15:06:41 +0200

Hi Shannon !
I second Mark advice !
First think about the dimensions of the raw space you have (including height)
and think about the maximum print size you plan/can make (the enlarger height
is of paramount importance here, as it will dictate the maximal print size).
Once you know the maximal size of a print, you have the sink size (5 trays for
this size make the sink....) And once you've the sink, everything else will
follow. Do not forget the space for a fridge, and an as large as you can table
for doing mounting, negative sorting, and so on.
I _do_ suggest that you install your sink(s) at as high as you can, the idea
being that you can rest your forearms on a rail bar during print processing,
while standing up. (or else position them low for processing being sitted on a
chair, if you prefer) If you have them this high, you can use the underneath
space for storage and drying racks. (use L shaped wood to make the rails onto
which you'll slide artist's canvas frame covered with fiber glass mesh (mosquito
window at the general store...)and stainless steel staples to affix the mesh.
Do not forget to paint flat black the wall and ceiling surrounding the enlarger
to cut stray light from bouncing onto the paper during printing time, paint
everithing else flat black in order to have the darkroom as luminous as you can
get with one or two safelights  (safelight screens are getting rarer and
expensive these days...)  and place as much power plugs as you can because it is
silly how much of them you'll need. (it is better to let an appliance plugged
than to plug and unplug with wet hands) And PROTECT the WHOLE darkroom with a
Ground Fault Interrupter. It saved my life a couple of times....
Hope this helps !