[pure-silver] Re: Darkrooms

  • From: Mark Blackwell <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 04:50:07 -0700 (PDT)

Shannon   One bit of a advise as you go through the process.  Don't build for
what you need now.  Build for what you might need.  You are only going to build
this darkroom structure once.  Build as much flexibility into it now as you
possibly can.  You might only be making 11x14's now, but would 16x20s be
something you could want to do later?  How bout 20x24's?  If so, have a way to
do them, even if you don't set the space up that way now.

Customize this space to YOUR needs.  If you need your sink a little lower or
little higher than a typical counter top, don't worry about typical.  Worry
about comfort.  Best way to find that magical height is to do a little
experimenting.  I used a piece of plywood and a few 2x4s to just cut the legs
to what I thought was the perfect height.  If it worked out to be too long, I
could just cut them again.  Too short, and you can just get longer 2x4s.
Ideally this could go in the darkroom, but in your situation that probably
isn't practical so Id just do any type of work that required you to work
standing.  For me it was a bit higher than most.

Don't be afraid to think out of the box.  I made drying screens with cheap PVC
pipe and plastic window screens.  Held the screens to the pipe frame with the
same universal glue that holds the frame together.  Just make a square, use the
primer to clean the pipe and then glue.  Strong, cheap and easy to clean.

On the floor, as you have already thought out and there are advantages to both
concrete or wood.  The cost of concrete has gone way up lately.  At one time it
wss far more cost effective than it is now.  Though with anti fatigue mats are
a great benefit, its still tiring.  Wood floors can be just as solid, but some
of that depends on two things.  One is the location.  If built in an area that
is prone to a great deal of settling, then it may not be the best option
because you are going to have to deal with keeping the floor level over time.
Wood floors that are solid also depend on proper construction techniques.
Cutting corners will definitely create problems.

Still if it were me (and it isn't so this may be totally worthless.  It's also
free advise so its worth what you pay for it lol) if I had the budget to build
as big of a space as I could possibly ever need using concrete, I probably
would go that route.  If I had to sacrifice space that I think I might need one
day to get that floor, I personally would take the wood floor and get the extra
space.

The other thing to look at is pre made storage sheds you can find in home
supply stores.  You may be able to find a size that fits your needs cheaper,
and quicker than stick built.  Then you are just adding the extra wiring and
plumbing.

Good luck and let us know what you decide