[pure-silver] Re: Darkrooms

  • From: Jeffrey Thorns <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 12:19:54 -0700

I painted my walls white, but then tacked sheets of black Foamcor to the wall around the enlarger. Inexpensive, easy to put up, easy to take down.

Shannon,
I used a Sheet of flat black Formica screwed to the wall behind the
enlarger. The remaining walls and ceiling area painted with white water base
gloss paint. The 2 safe lights are directed obliquely towards the ceiling in
a way to provide adequate lighting and pass a fog test. My preference is to
run a dim dark room while printing, as this makes it easier to see what is
projected on the easel. My wet side has small low voltage dimmable halogen
track light mounted on individual fixtures with sting pull switches to
illuminate the sinks. I can turn on individual lights by pulling string
switches when needed. i.e. viewing a wet print. The master dimmer; a slide
type with an on and off switch; is used to calibrated the viewing light so
that it compensates for print dry down as suggested by Ralph Lambrecht. I
also use a Mini Mag light modified to be safe in the dark room when I need a
temporary light to adjust the enlarger lens etc.

Jonathan